Saturday, May 7, 2011

Painting 002 - 5/2

Click for bigger image
Oil on gessoed canvasboard
8"x10"
Here we have my second painting, which is notable for being the second version of my second painting. The first version was started without any preliminary drawing, and though I swear to god I know better than that, it took about 45 minutes of work before I realized the painting was not salvageable. So I started my second painting, with an object lesson and a new rule for this project.

Lesson:
Always always always always start with a drawing.

Rule:
A painting may only be restarted if it is inescapably clear that it cannot be saved.

As for this painting: it's not perfect (the anatomy around the thumb joint, oh ouch) but it's perfectly acceptable, and I learned from it. I'm going to count that as a success and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment